40mm Quad Anti-Aircraft Mount Walk-Around

Our resident ship modeling master, Gary Kingzett, took these pictures of a 40mm quad Bofor mount sitting outside Bremerton, Washington.   The 40mm quad mount was one of the most important naval AA weapons of World War II.  They first appeared late in 1942, and their effectiveness resulted in all ships being literally covered with the mounts by the time the war ended.  They only began to fall out of favor in 1945 when the preferred mount became the 3″, as even the 40mm didn’t have enough stopping power to counter the Kamikaze threat.